For your security and convenience we are providing all clients with a personalized client portal, through box. Below you will find instructions and some FAQ around setting up your client portal. Most of the steps below will only need to be done during this initial set up phase. Once you have set up your client portal you will be able to share and collaborate with our team in a convenient and secure manner.
**Recommendation: Please complete these steps below on a computer for full functionality.
Box.com supports both Windows and MacOS.
Box.com browser compatibilities: Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, and Safari.
Box Step-by-Step Instructions
Please accept the email invitation from email@example.com to collaborate with us in your client portal folder. (If you do not see an email from HeimLantz CPAs and Advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org,please check all email inboxes for the invitation link including SPAM)
If you still need assistance, please contact our Box Expert directly at 703-341-4253.
You will be asked, to create a free Box account. Fill in all required fields, then read and accept Box’s Terms of Service and click “Submit.” (If prompted, please select “Not a part of Heimlantz Organization”).
Box will send you an email link to confirm your account setup, please check your email for the confirmationlink, before proceeding. (Please check all inboxes including Spam and Junk for an email from email@example.com).
To complete the setup of your Box account. Please click on “verify your email.”
Once you have verified your email, a “Welcome to Box” window will appear. This will just take you through the welcome process. Please either click “Skip Setup” or “Continue”.
As you go through the welcome process, you will be asked how you will use Box, please select “Share & Collaborate” then click “Continue.”
On this screen you will disregard the download of Box Drive and click “Continue.” You will proceed with Box online version.
Once you have setup the account and successfully logged into your Box account, you will see a folder titled with your “Client ID Client Name CP” and an “Action Required” notification. Please navigate to the right of the folder and click “Set up” to proceed with the two-factor authentication. This step is required in order for us to securely exchange documents with you.
Once you have clicked on “Set up”, you will now be prompted to select an option for the 2-Step Verification. Please select the second option, “SMS Text Message.” Then click “Next.”
You will be required to enter a mobile/cell phone number that you have access to. This is only a one-time request; you will not be prompted to complete this at each log in session. Please enter a mobile phone number with an area code (without dashes or hyphens), then click “Continue.”
A confirmation code will be sent to the mobile phone via text message. Please enter the confirmation code provided to you in the required field, then click “Continue.”
You should now see your client portal folder in “All Files”. Please double click onto the folder titled your Client ID Client Name CP, as highlighted below, and proceed with uploading documents requested by your accountant. Please make sure to share files only within the folder labeled with your Client ID Client Name CP (it’s colored gray to indicate it is shared). You can create any personalized sub folders within this main folder, but any folders created, or documents uploaded outside of the Client ID Client Name CP folder are not visible to our team.
Once you are inside of your client portal folder you will see a subfolder titled either by current year or tax year, as highlighted below. Per you accountants request, please upload the files into the applicable subfolder by double clicking onto the folder.
To upload files, navigate to the right of your screen and locate “New +.” Click on “New +” and select “File Upload” from the drop-down list. This will prompt to open your computer’s files and folders. Please upload the necessary documents. Or you can simply drag and drop files into the “White Boxed” area in Box from your files on your computer.
(The folder that we have shared with you is what is accessible with your accountant, any folders or documents created outside of your client portal folder we do not have access to).
- Simply Select the file that you would like to move inside of your client poral folder. Now drag and drop it into the client portal folder.
- Or you may select the file and navigate to the right of the file and select the first icon with three dots. Choose the Move or Copy option.
- Then select your client portal folder and then click Move. This will drop the files into your client portal folder.
- After uploading your files. Select the file you would like to preview and add comments or notes to your accountant regarding the files.
- Navigate to the bottom right of your page and you will see a text box area to type in comments. Start typing in your comment/note to your accountant. Then type the @ symbol following with your accountant’s name with no spaces. You will see the accountants name appear from the list. Select your accountant’s name from the drop-down list.
- Type in your note. Then click Post. This feature will enable a notification to your accountant regarding a comment you have @metioned them and posted.
Select the file you would like to download from your client portal folder. Then navigate to the right of the file when you are in preview mode and click on Download.
- Go to your client portal folder titled by client ID and client name. Once you are sitting inside of your client portal folder. Navigate to the right of it and click “New +”.
- The select Folder from the drop-down menu to create a new subfolder.
- You will be prompted to name your folder. Name it, then click Create.
Once you log into your Box account, on the top right-hand corner of the page there is a bell notification icon. Click on that icon and you will be able to see all your notifications along with notes that your accountant has mentioned and posted referencing to the files for review.
- Once your logged onto to your Box account, navigate to the upper right corner of your screen and click on your initials, then select Account Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to Notifications tab on the top of your account settings page, then check off the box for uploads in the column that indicates “In Items I’ve Joined.”
- In the upper right corner of the screen select Save Changes. You will now receive automatic email notifications whenever a file is uploaded onto your client portal folder.
Navigate to the left-hand side menu panel and click on “All Files” this will take you back to the home page.